Welcome

WELCOME TO
THE MANSION HOUSE!

We are thrilled to be in the same location we have always been.  For over 200 years we have been providing the good people of this city the finest in libations and entertainment.  Conveniently located downtown, we are in the heart of the newly renovated historical district, and just steps from the new Arena.


Our History


THIS OLE' GIRL HAS LED A LONG FULFILLED LIFE
SINCE 1806!

THE MANSION HOUSE IS A HISTORICAL LANDMARK, A RESTAURANT, PUB AND VENUE FOR LIVE MUSIC.  IT WAS ORIGINALLY CONSTRUCTED IN THE EARLY 1800S TO BE A HOME AND STORE FOR WILLIAM HAMILTON MERRITT, THE MAIN PROMOTER OF THE ORIGINAL WELLAND CANAL.

  IN THE 1820S THE BUILDING WAS TURNED INTO A HOTEL WITH THE ADDITION OF A LARGE DINING ROOM AND OFFICE.  LIFE CARRIED ON IN THE HOTEL, WITH TRAVELERS AND SAILORS BOARDING IN THE ROOMS, AND MERRITT CONDUCTING HIS BUSINESS.  

IN 1859 A FIRE RAGED THROUGH DOWNTOWN ST. CATHARINES,  AND CAUSED SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE TO THE CITY'S CORE.  IN THE YEARS TO FOLLOW THE NAME CHANGED A NUMBER OF TIMES, UNTIL 1868 WHEN IT WAS RE-NAMED THE MANSION HOUSE.

WITH THE BAR'S LONGEVITY IT IS OFFICIALLY THE OLDEST TAVERN IN  ST. CATHARINES, AND LONGEST RUNNING LICENSED ESTABLISHMENT IN ALL OF CANADA.  

TODAY THE MANSION HOUSE STILL SERVES FOOD AND DRINK TO ITS PATRONS, FEATURING AN EXTENSIVE SELECTION OF BEERS ON TAP AND A LUNCH AND DINNER MENU. THE PUB PUTS ON LIVE BANDS MULTIPLE NIGHTS A WEEK, WITH LOCAL AND TOURING BANDS SHARING THE STAGE.  SO GRAB A BITE TO EAT AND A PINT TO DRINK AND SOAK IN SOME ST. CATHARINES HERITAGE IN ITS' LONGEST RUNNING TAVERN.